Exchange migration - the final steps

Gustavo Michels gustavo.michels at ig.com.br
Wed Dec 8 13:27:01 CET 2004

Hamish

For e-mail, you could use imapsync, a perl script for mass migration using
IMAP servers. The downside is you'll need a list with the users and
passwords for both systems (exchange and kolab). There's a way to gather
a list of AD users, but for passwords, there's no other way than
resetting all user's passwords to a known one. Well you could use some
tools like pwdump2 and lophtcrack to crack the SAM database.

You may go another way: use exmerge and use some tool like readpst (part
of libpst) to extract the e-mails and upload them to cyrus imap. For the
upload you'll need to create a little perl or python (or whatever) script
to do the job, but you'll still need the password for the kolab part.

For any other groupware data (calendar, contacts, etc), the hole is much
deeper since there must be a format conversion. I have created some
python scripts for a university project which will convert the exchange
data to kolab xml, but they are far from perfect. The process is too
complex and somewhat dependent on steps of the original project I was, so
maybe they aren't useful for everyone.

cheers
Gustavo