Fwd: Kolab2 and novell evolution

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 2 12:21:00 CET 2004

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 16:33, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> Could you give me an idea of the difficulty to do it for 2 goods
> developpers that have knowledge about xml/imap/c/linux (time?)

That is a though question.
Maybe Bo, David or Joon can say more.
(And it really is a topic for kolab-devel@ more than kolab-users@)

The estimation depends a lot of the current code,
especially what is there to use and how good it is.
Here is a quick brain dump, which garantees nothing,
but is betten then no answer:

There are two main parts of the problem:
    a) disconnected imap with annotations
    b) the Kolab2 XML storage format
    c) interoperability details, like triggering pfbs

a) can be done in various degrees, from trying online imap
for testing purposes only (it will be considered an offensive client
in production environments, because bogging down the server)
to well designed syncronisation queues.
Depending on how much Evolution already does, I would
roughly estimate say up to 6 personmonth. (So with two people
you might be able to do it in 4 month.)

b) Dedends on how Evolution saves events internally.
When knowing everything, 3 person month.
Usually you discover bugs in Evolution this ways, that you need
to fix.

c) Hard to tell, there are many small but important details.
(This probably is the biggest item.)