a few questions ( repost )

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Aug 9 18:11:38 CEST 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 02:15, Corey wrote:
> Were my questions unworthy of response, or are folks just too busy to
> reply?

Busy, also some (like me) were on vacation in the llast two weeks.

> Would my post have been better suited in kolab-devel?

No, it is fine here.
If it gets more technical the kolab-devel list is best.

> On Tuesday 27 July 2004 06:28 pm, Corey wrote:

> > For one, I'm a little confused concerning the differentiation/split
> > between the  "kolab" and the "kroupware" projects.  It was my impression
> > that kroupware was the original commercial project which kolab sprang
> > from, and that kroupware is now deprecated in lieu of the community kolab
> > effort.

Kolab is the project and is used to label:
  the concept
  the implementations done by the Kolab group (Kolab server, KDE Kolab client)
  other compliant software

There have been two contracts which resulted
in more work put into Kolab:
	Kroupware and Proko2

> > So the problem I see here is a confusing lack of organization and
> > cohesion - as a curious potential new user, I'm presented with many
> > hurdles, redirection, and uncertainty. Is there something I'm missing, or
> > is this truly an accurate assesment of kolab's current situation?

It is true that the information on the webpages is suboptimal.
We welcome any help, see below.

> > Questions I noted while going through all this - hopefully someone could
> > help me out and answer them:
> >
> > Why am I still being directed to the 'kroupware' site, when 'kolab' is
> > the current community site?

The Kroupware contract lead to Kolab1.
Kolab1 still works, is, stable, has documentation and should be documented
somewhere. Kolab2 is in development.
But you are right in that it currently is confusing.

> > Which _is_ the correct latest, "bestest" source, and where do I get it?

(If that question would be so easy, we would have answered on the webpage. :/ )

For the server:
There is original Kolab1 (http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-server-1.0/
then there is Kolab1cf which you can get from www.zfos.org
in addition there are development Server packages occasionally mirrored
at http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/misc/freegis/intevation/kolab/server/development/
(because this is the only mirror we have, the URL is strange, more mirrors welcome.)

For the KDE Kolab client
    Kolab1 KDE ("Kroupware 1.0.2") as indicated from kroupware.org
   Kolab2 KDE Client (from KDE CVS, ask on kolab-devel)

> > Which is the correct latest, "bestest" documentation, and where do I get
> > it?

Kolab1: See kroupware.org
Kolab2: See CVS accessible from kolab.org

> > Why doesn't the kolab community site host and provide the current
> > documentation and sources -  in a more intuitive manner?
> > Are there any
> > plans to correct the situation? Is it merely a matter of a lack of
> > man-power?

We lack power and hope to improve the situation as soon as we can.

> > Where can I help?

The webpages are in a public CVS.
Go to kolab-devel@, announce what you want to change on the webpages,
send patches to that list. If that runs fine, you ma later get CVS write access.

We also hope to set up a gforge server to make helping easier.

Bernhard