Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Jon Bendtsen jon at kollegiegaarden.dk
Wed Apr 14 11:20:42 CEST 2004

Den 14. apr 2004, kl. 10:54, skrev Bo Thorsen:

> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 10:43, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
>> Den 14. apr 2004, kl. 8:38, skrev Bo Thorsen:

[cut]

>>> A DB is indeed good at one single thing: Executing queries (or
>>> searches).
>>> Now, if this was needed on the server, then there might be a reason
>>> to store stuff in a DB. The reason this isn't the case is that all
>>> searches
>>> are done by the client. So you never ever use the potential of a DB
>>> on the server, since that really just need to feed the client all the
>>> parts.
>>> Someone claimed indexing is faster in a DB - again true. But cyrus
>>> only needs a single index - the IMAP UID - and this is the name of
>>> the file that stores the mail. There is no DB that can come close to
>>> the speed of
>>> "ls" when it comes to indexing :-)
>>
>> What about searching across a particular user? Suppose you were
>> looking
>> for all
>> communication with a client, customer, partner, ...
>
> You still do this in the client. No need to bog down the server with
> it.

how can the client access the imap homedir of other users? Can my
client access your email?

"A potential good deal went wrong, but with several involved people,
the upper management want to know where it went wrong, and thus wants
to see all communication with the potential customer. Since both sales
people and engineers communicated with people, both management and
engineers at the customer site, and this happened over several months,
asking the people involved for the email they send and recieved is much
work, and they might miss on purpose or not, an importent email. Thus,
the only solution is to have do the search centraly looking through all
mailboxes.
There might even be a lawsuit involved where one of the parts sues the
other for not paying, or not delivering the promised."

How would you do that? Either you need to copy ALL data off the
mailserver, which takes some work, and more importent, it takes double
space. Or you search through the data at the mailserver, using cpu.

At a former work we had a small system like this. We stored all emails
to and from customers and partners, but we didnt always know beforehand
which was importent enough to store, so we had a script that ran
through all the files in the users Maildir on the imap server looking
for to, from or cc adresses containing the customer/partner. It was
used so other people communicating with a customer/partner could see
who said what to whom, (trying to) eliminate problems before they did
arrise.

JonB