Proko2 is Good News Towards Kolab2

Ivaylo Toshev ivo at linux.itce.com
Fri Apr 9 09:22:18 CEST 2004

На чт, 2004-04-08 в 23:51, Ilja записа:
> Bo Thorsen wrote:

> >On Thursday 08 April 2004 09:52, Ilja Booij wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>if you are considering using a database backend for all objects, you
> >>might want to take a look at DBMail (http://www.dbmail.org), which is
> >>an IMAP and POP3 server using a database (currently PostgreSQL and

< SKIP>

> >I dare you to prove me wrong :-)
> >
> >Bo.
> >

> There are a few advantages to using a database backend.
> * When having big amounts of email (>20GB), it comes in handy to be able
> to search for a messages very quickly (this is especially helpful for IMAP)
> * it's easy to do load balancing, replication etc, because these are
> built-in features of the database.

And many others, like clustering. migration . Implementing ( and easy
building ) of third party applications which to manipulate objects in
database.
For example: Consider you have 2 GB IMAP folders in your inbox. Now
imagine that you start new client on new PC. I bet that pure SQL queries
to database will be far fast, that IMAP to index these objects.
Second - Get rid of disconnected IMAP ( IMHO this is the only thing that
stop me to use kolab)
> I agree that a database backend introduces overhead, and this will
> certainly hit you if you have a small site. If you have a larger site,
> with thousands of users, using a database can be very helpful.

I think that depending on site, there can be different DB backent