FW: Can Kolab act as an Internal Mail Server and Relay

Stephen Hind s.hind at rwp.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 17:31:17 CEST 2004

So can kolab be configured to do this, or do I have to configure postfix
directly to do this?
Fetchmail - as far as I am aware this is not a part of kolab, so I guess I
have to configure that myself?  If so how would I marry up fetchmail pulling
30 (approx) mail accounts into the corresponding kolab accounts?

> > At the moment I'm testing kolab on a Mandrake 10.0 Community based
> > system, which is my desktop.  I use the built-in KDE Kontact/KMail
> > package to connect to it, which it seems to successfully, as can see
> > my inbox.  I encounter one problem however.  I have tried to send mail
> > to myself at both my internal address and the standard internet
> > address, but it remain in my outbox always.
>
> hmm, in your outbox? Did you define a server for sending email?

YES! See the paragraph below from my original mail!  If I don't define a
server KMail says "define a server"

> > Can I use KDE contact?  If so what have I not configured (I added the
> > kolab server in as both an IMAP, IMAP disconnected and SMTP servers).
> > Should I use the kolab client instead?
>
> What happens when you try to send a message to yourself ?

It sits in my outbox.

> > I hope these are clear enough, please mail me if not.
>
> they are a little unclear to me.

OK I will try to be clearer:

What we want to achieve is to use kolab as an internal groupware server so
we can share/view calendars, send mail to one another without having to use
the internet, have a common address book, send appointments and tasks.  But
we want kolab to automatically send emails that need to go out to the
internet, so I guess we rely on postfix for this?  the kolab web interface
does not appear to give any configuration options for postfix, is this right
or am I missing something?

At the minute I'm only using the standard Kontact/KMail client that comes
with Mandrake 10.0 Community.  This may be the problem as I don't know if
this will work with kolab properly, can someone confirm this?

Hopefully this is clearer.

Stephen