Tag Configuration object draft

Aleksander Machniak machniak at kolabsys.com
Fri Jun 20 12:00:08 CEST 2014

On 06/20/2014 11:35 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> I suppose that to circumvent the dead links when the target message is
> moved/deleted, folder renamed/deleted, or any such intermediate event
> takes place, we could add additional parameters -- perhaps in the XML,
> perhaps in the IMAP URI.

So, what's your opinion about the format I proposed?

> As to using or not using UIDVALIDITY, I suppose ultimately this might
> have to do with performance.

Cyrus (and Dovecot) use constant UIDVALIDITY, no? That's why I proposed
to skip it.

> Suppose I link to a message Foo/1., and I find Foo/ is still the exact
> same folder, but 1. is not in there -- I should start searching
> (probably all folders but Foo/). If Foo/ however is a different folder
> (the old Foo/ was renamed/deleted, a new Foo/ was created?) -- I should
> start searching (probably all folders including Foo/) -- could I start
> searching for whatever Foo/ may have been renamed to in a ditch attempt
> to be a little more efficient?

So, you're proposing to use folder unique identifiers instead of names?
It would improve performance of cases when folder is renamed, but isn't
it a rare case? Mapping UID to name will be an additional overhead for
any operation on relation members.

--
Aleksander Machniak
Software Developer