Tag Configuration object draft

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Feb 27 13:19:19 CET 2014

On 2014-02-26 09:43, Thomas Jarosch wrote:

>> > For tagging email messages, I suppose the member { #UID } element will
>> > hold the according Message-ID header value, right?
>>
>> I see a possible issue here, but for not so common scenario I suppose.
>>
>> 1. Add tag to a message.
>> 2. Copy the message to other folder (it will be copied with the tag
>> assignment, because Message-ID doesn't change, that's good).
>> 3. Remove tag from the copied message - tag will be also removed from
>> the original message, which might be not what all users expect.
>>
>> Because in some cases this might be an acceptable behaviour and
>> because
>> copying messages is not very common action we can ignore this problem.
>> But do not forget about this "limitation".
>
> ...or think about MS Outlook clients that sometimes don't
> issue a new message-ID when forwarding a message.
>
> -> message-IDs are not reliable for "uniqueness".

This is reputed to be true indeed, and has messed with duplicate
delivery suppression quite a bit as well as it messes with / will mess
with conversations in general.

However, should message $x (already received) be tagged, and a copy of
message $x be forwarded to the same recipient, and with the same
Message-ID [1], becoming message $y, the duplicate appearing as having
been tagged is not a completely insurmountable side-effect, and
otherwise barely relevant unless your boss forwards you a message that
you had tagged as "IGNORE".

That said, the way that duplicate delivery suppression has resolved the
issue is by matching more headers than just the one Message-ID. Perhaps
it is not unreasonable to at least allow the storage format used to
include such additional headers as well, solely in an attempt to
uniquely identify the message.

To address the "tag this unique copy of the message", perhaps a folder
ID could be included, though I admit I'm seeing a lot of processing
overhead occur just to prevent a tag from being removed off of multiple
copies of a message. I suppose it is not unfair to simply acknowledge
that either you are, or you are not interested in a message (or any copy
thereof), and modifications to your level of interest go both ways.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] Directly in against RFC 822, section 4.6.1, and although 2822 is a
bit more ambiguously formulated, it continues to emphasize the
Message-ID uniqueness for every particular version of a particular
message (section 3.6.4). The fact Microsoft elects / has elected to
ignore the possibility of using Resent-* headers can really only be held
against Microsoft.

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG

e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com