dtcreated/ dtstamp / last-modified

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Jun 5 11:05:13 CEST 2013

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 08.45:42 you wrote:
> Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > There are three types of relevant timestamps:
> > * $A: The creation date of the conceptual object
> > * $B: The last-modified date of the conceptual object
> > * $C: The timestamp of the serialization
> >
> > Again, In terms of layers, $A and $B belong to a higher layer than $C
> >
> > == KEP:17 ==
> >
> > In KEP:17 I defined the last-modified [1] date to represent $B. There is
> > no
> > representation for $C in KEP:17 as it belongs to a different layer. $C is
> > represented by the Date header in the MIME message [2] for Kolab Objects.
> > This is not strictly correct, but was considered a good enough
> > approximation. After all we don't actually want the time of serialization
> > we rather want to know when the file was written to storage.
>
> Did you also consider to save the creator and last-modification user (e.g.
> the email address)? This might me an interesting piece of information in a
> groupware environment. Although I suppose that neither iCalendar nor VCard
> have such properties defined.

The only possibilty I see in iCalendar is ORGANIZER in conjunction with SENT-
BY:

"ORGANIZER;SENT-BY="mailto:sray at example.com":mailto:
jsmith at example.com"

The last-modification user is the one from SENT-BY, or the ORGANIZER if SENT-BY
is not available.

Other than that I don't think iCalendar contains a suitable property to
represent this. The creator wouldn't be saved in this case, but I suppose the
organizer plus the person who last modified the event should be enough context?

Cheers,
Christian