[NEW KEP] KEP #17: Kolab XML Format 3.0

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Thu Mar 22 19:13:51 CET 2012

On Thursday 22 March 2012 14.20:35 Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Am Freitag 09 März 2012, um 18:42:44 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> > C bindings, I think, do not need to be provided as C code can link to
> > C++ libraries.
>
> Linking to C++ libs from C should be no issue. What's more important here
> is how the libkolabxml API is designed. If the libkolabxml API would use
> the C subset of C++ _solely_, then there should be no issue (sorry btw, I
> have not yet been able to check with the libkolabxml sources yet, but
> hopefully will find some time for that anytime soon).
>
>   As soon as the libkolabxml API does expose anything of the C++ superset
> which is not also part of the C subset (e.g. classes/objects, namespaces,
> templates, exceptions, ... etc.), you will need a dedicated C language
> binding to enable C applications to make use of libkolabxml. At least,
> this is my present understanding of the matter.

Hi Christian,

Yes, that is how I see it as well. You will need a wrapper, exposing a C api
using "extern C" in C++ code. IMO it doesn't makes sense to offer that in a
generic way though (i.e. through structs), because it seems to be the same
effort as just writing one to be used as evolution-internal memory
representation.

If we can find a solution such as SWIG to generate such a wrapper that'd be
great. I'd like to avoid having to maintain a second API based on C though.

Cheers,
Christian