NEW KEP: Color configuration storage for resources and categories (KEP #12)

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Fri Sep 16 12:03:52 CEST 2011

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A new KEP has just been released into the public drafting&  review process:
>
> 	KEP #12: Color configuration storage for resources and categories
> 	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/Drafts/KEP:12

Here are my 2 cents:

- The regular 'uid' value SHALL be preceded by the string 'category:' to
allow fast search for all objects of this type through the 'subject' field

Why not use X-Kolab-Type header for fast retrieval of such objects?

- The 'name' field MAY have a nested hierarchy of sub-fields
corresponding to the sub-categories

Is this nested structure really necessary? As from a client's
perspective this requirement makes both implementation and UI much more
complicated and I don't see a real benefit of this structure.

Last but not least I'd also like to pick up Jeroen's suggestion about
using 'configuration' objects from KEP:9 to store any number of category
definitions:

  <configuration version="2.1">
    <uid>(string)</uid>
    <creation-date>(datetime)</creation-date>
    <last-modification-date>(datetime)</last-modification-date>
    <type>categories</type>
    <!-- Type specific fields -->
    <name color="00008B">Meeting</name>
    <name color="008B8B">Telephone</name>