Kolab XML Format: Proposal for an XSD friendly update

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Wed Oct 19 12:19:51 CEST 2011

On 18.10.2011 21:35, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Hi Christian,

Hi Gunnar,

> [...]
>> will
>> adhere to the spec.
>>
>> You'll realise that one misbehaving client can effectively destroy
>> the
>> "Kolab expererience" that not matter which client you're using you
>> get
>> everywhere at least the features defined by the format.
>>
>> Also, instead of the validation of the actual values which is now up
>> every implementation, we'll get one centrally defined in the schema.
>> With the databindings we even get typesafety which gives us compile
>> time
>> errors instead of runtime errors.
>>
>> Databindings based on XSD are available for various languages. We're
>> targeting C++/PHP/Python for now, so we will make sure that a
>> solution
>> for these languages exists.
>>
>> == Problems with the current Format ==
>>
>> The current format allows some things, or is at least not explicit
>> enough about it, which are hardly implementable using XSD or lead to
>> other problems.
>> The key points are:
>>
>> - Preserving of undefined tags
>> - Undefined order of elements
>> - No defined namespace
>>
>> === Preserving of undefined tags ===
>
> I agree to a large extent with everything else you wrote in your
> mail.
> I think the only difficult point is "Preserving of undefined tags" -
> so I'll add my comments just here.
>

>> Preserving unknown tags is far from trivial and a rather big
>> development effort. I understand the use of an extensible format as
>> it
>> makes it very easy for vendors to implement their own special
>> features
>> using extensions (aka unknown tags). Also the idea that old clients
>> can
>> still make use of a subset of the data of
>> newer versions of the format is intriguing. However I think there
>> are a
>> couple of severe drawbacks which make me think unknown tags are not
>> good idea after all.
>>
>> - If vendors can implement their features with unknown tags, no one
>> else can make use of it. This effectively works against the idea
>> that
>> all clients support the same features
>
> I do not think it is very likely that all Kolab clients will ever
> support the same feature set. I do not consider this to be a central
> idea of the format specification. The Kolab format forces the clients
> to adhere to it for Kolab features supported the clients. It does not
> force the clients to support all features though.
>
> Why shouldn't there be a client that only knows how to use the
> "summary" and "body" field of the "note" object? Yes, not very
> useful.
> But what would force the vendor of this imaginary client to support
> the full Kolab format feature set if he has customers that are happy
> with this extremely reduced set of capabilities?

As Jeroen already pointed out adding the tags to the XSD does not imply
that those elements are mandatory.
We would likely define most of those elements optional, so the client
does not have to implement those features.
However, a client cannot implement a feature which is not in the XSD.

>> and even encourages vendors to
>> implement their features in their client only to have a market
>> advantage.
>
> Most of the times vendor specific tags have been used because a
> client
> already had a certain feature that the Kolab format just didn't
> specify. I think most often this was just done because the vendors
> would like to avoid telling people: "oh, but this feature doesn't
> work
> if you use Kolab as a backend"
>
> And even if it would be used as a competing factor between Kolab
> client - would it be that dramatic? It is not like getting a patent
> on
> that feature and restricting the other clients from implementing
> something similar. I would assume that a cool new feature that one
> client might offer would draw some attention and finally give birth
> another KEP so that all clients can implement the feature.

Right, but we likely end up to do all the work. I'm not saying that
vendors are purposefully implementing all features with their own
extensions, but we're not really motivating them at the moment to
contribute to upstream Kolab, which is what we should do as an
opensource based project.

>> This obviously hurts the Kolab platform.
>
> I don't see how the extensibility itself hurts Kolab. What you
> described above - Horde overwriting Kontact extensions - is what
> hurts
> users. But that is not a problem caused by extensibility. This is a
> client - Horde - not being careful enough and ignoring that
> extensibility feature.

First, I consider this feature to be rather difficult to implement, and
likely going to be a problem in many implementations.
Second, it hurts the Kolab platform in at least two ways (apart from
the getting stuff upstream argument):
  - application interoperability (If we don't run after each vendor
we'll get a gpg field for contacts from every single client)
  - no upgrade path

We still might add a controlled extensibility to the format if we see a
need for it in the future.
I.e. we could add a "custom" element which can appear a number of times
where such custom values could be stored.
We shouldn't do that lightly though as that works against us for the
already lined out reasons.

>> If we disallowed
>> unknown tags instead, we would force vendors to go through a KEP
>> process
>> to improve the Kolab format for everyone.
>
> And until the KEP has been approved the vendor is unable to enable
> use
> of a feature that the client might already have?

In this scenario, yes. However we can actually speed up things if we
want.
Extending the format is a matter of updating the XSD, recompiling the
bindings, and distributing both,
which could be done on a days notice.
That said, it is also possible for a vendor which is in control of the
deployment to extend the XSD by himself,
and update it on his clients. That process shouldn't be difficult as it
takes the same steps as above.

>> Of course there are values which are by definition not useful for
>> others, but even those can be added to the format as a vendor
>> extension.
>
> Would that take the full KEP process?

That is up for discussion how we handle such extension requests.

> Don't misunderstand me: I think the KEP process is great but if it
> takes a full KEP to get a tag into the format so that a client can
> support a specific feature when using Kolab as a backend seems a bit
> much.

Agreed.

>> This way we have a much stricter definition which is much easier to
>> implement.
>
> To me the fact that it is easier to implement seems to be the main
> driving factor behind the request.

It is one of the driving factors.

> I'm not saying that the extensibility feature should be retained at
> all costs. But dropping it because the implementation based on an XSD
> is hard does not seem to be a good reason.

As I said, it is not the only reason, but nevertheless in my opinion a
very good one.
I consider a schema based specification a big step forward for the XML
format and databindings the only way how we get as many clients as
possible to adhere to the spec. I believe that without schema based
databindings there will always be client-implementations conflicting
with other clients.

>> Using XSD it is actually not feasible to allow unknown tags
>> anywhere in the format, but in my opinion not allowing unknown tags
>> is
>> the only way to get a well defined format. Without the use of
>> namespaces
>> it is even impossible to implement unknown elements with XSD.
>
> So you are saying that the use of a namespace (can't see a problem
> with that) would allow using unknown elements? Why not going into
> that
> direction then?

If the undefined elements only occur in one specific place (as
subelements of a special element or at the end of the file), it would be
possible.
That aside I still believe that the format is much better defined
without unknown tags. Note that it will be a lot easier to extend the
format in a controlled way if we have XSD based databindings, so the
implications are not the same as they would be with the current way of
handling the xml files.

Cheers,
Christian