Pre-KEP Request for Input: Storage of categories & colors

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue May 31 19:34:20 CEST 2011

Hi all,

The same customer who prompted the priority question also asked to coordinate
the colors of categories for different clients, in particular between Kontact
and the web client.

We currently do not have storage for categories outside the objects, which
means there is no obvious place for color storage.

But the request still makes sense.

Questions I have in this regard:

	* How does Outlook behave?

		Are there pre-defined colors/categories? Can they be influenced by
		the connectors, or are they hard-coded?

	* How does ActiveSync behave?

		Is there a way to communicate category colors to the devices?

	* How does Evolution behave? What about Mozilla?

	* Where to store this information?

		This seems to boil down to a question of
			extended annotation VS special IMAP object type?

	* What else should we take into account?

I haven't yet found time to look more closely into these issues, so if you
happen to know the answers to (some) of these questions, or have input, that
would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Georg

--