Pre-KEP input sought: Priority for events? (in line with tasks?)(similar to VEVENT & VTODO?)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue May 31 19:24:01 CEST 2011

Hi all,

A customer has approached us with the request to store event priority
information, similar to what is allowed in iCalendar:

   http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5545.txt

   3.8.1.9.  Priority

   Property Name:  PRIORITY

   Purpose:  This property defines the relative priority for a calendar
      component.

   Value Type:  INTEGER

   Property Parameters:  IANA and non-standard property parameters can
      be specified on this property.

   Conformance:  This property can be specified in "VEVENT" and "VTODO"
      calendar components.

      to 9.  A value of 0 specifies an undefined priority.  A value of 1
      is the highest priority.  A value of 2 is the second highest
      priority.  Subsequent numbers specify a decreasing ordinal
      priority.  A value of 9 is the lowest priority.

      A CUA with a three-level priority scheme of "HIGH", "MEDIUM", and
      "LOW" is mapped into this property such that a property value in
      the range of 1 to 4 specifies "HIGH" priority.  A value of 5 is
      the normal or "MEDIUM" priority.  A value in the range of 6 to 9
      is "LOW" priority.

According to what I could find in the specification, priority is only available
in the 'task' object, and then only in a range of 1-5, with 1 as the highest
priority. The '0' for 'undefined' does not appear to exist.

So here are the questions:

 (a) Does anyone else have this requirement, and particular cases they
	would request to have taken into account?

 (b1) Should we add priority to the 'event' object type?

 (b2) Or should we move priority one level up from 'task' into the common
fields in events and tasks, of which there are already several?

 (c1) Should we implement the 0-9 priorities of iCalendar?

 (c2) Or should we stay with the 1-5 approach?

Advantage of (c1) would obviously be better compatibility with iCalendar and
iTip, while (c2) would mean full legacy compatibility. But then we
(necessarily) have two breaking changes already, and this is a fairly small
one that we might just add to the changeset.

And (b2) obviously has the advantage (besides being compatible with VTODO) of
one definition for the entire set of objects, over two separate (and in the
worst future case, diverging) definitions.

And even when choosing (b2) would older datasets continue to work.

So I guess I'm currently having a slight preference for (b2) (c1).

But I'd very much like to get input from others, as well.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve