Use of TZID in invitations (Re: Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 28 14:44:35 CEST 2011

Am Freitag, 25. März 2011 16:54:41 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> > I agree with both points about if in-format tz-data would to be used.
> > My <original-vtimezone> tag was meant to be such a CUSTOM block.
>
> Yes, I know.
>
> Only I would not limitd it to "original vtimezone", but use it as an
> explicit caching rule, which will be of lower hierarchy than the TZID, so
> clients know which one to follow when in doubt and should use the dynamic
> approach whenever they can, but can fall back on the cache if that is their
> only option.

Ah, my idea was to only have that tag, when there is CUSTOM and it must be
used. So there would be no doubt.

> It would complicate the overall handling of Kolab XML objects and bloat
> them somewhat, but not so much that it would likely cause a major issue, I
> believe.
>
> In other words: It's crufty, and for unknown benefit, but if it helps to
> finally lay this issue to rest, maybe that is what we have to do.

This is a question of importance of this iTIP compliance. I would hate to
complicate that format for it, just as you would. However it looks important
so far.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.