Why and when storing local time? (Re: Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 24 11:43:14 CET 2011

Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2011 11:12:42 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Variant 2) still works, I am still at 10:00 in Berlin as ii) demands.
> > But for 1), if I just apply the new TZ-data, I end up with 11:00 Berlin.
>
> Variant 1) works too, if the specification is to write and read the
> datetime as the timestamp corresponding with the target time using the
> baseline UTC offset only

Your version of using the "baseline" UTC offset only works,
if this part of the tz-data does not change. I was proposing a solution
for a non-daylight saving rule change in the tz-data.

My reading of rfc3339: Using a "baseline" UTC offset would not
be local time as mentioned in "4.2 Local Offsets". Furthermore, the rules
you propose seem to be much more complicated.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.