Why and when storing local time? (Re: Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 23 10:39:53 CET 2011

 Am Dienstag, 22. März 2011 23:26:18 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> > See my other post about why I currently believe that saving Localtime +
> > TZ-ID will be better than UTC + TZ-ID. Do you share the argument?
>
> Only in part, as timezone changes (not the same as DST changes)

Just to clarify:
To me the tz-data of a specific timezone contains the daylight saving rules.
So when the daylight saving rules change, the tz-data change.

In my writings a tz-data change was equivalent of a timezone change.

> Additionally, these (sorts of) timezone changes for a geographical location
> are known in tzdata for a good part of the future, so the client can
> correct this if needed.

My argument is based on the assumption cannot predice the tz-data changes
for the future? You are saying that this is true for parts of the tz-data,
which then supports my argument? As this is a tz-data change.

What am I missing here to understand you?

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.