Basic rationale of the KEP #2 design - Part 1

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 22 10:58:50 CET 2011

Am Montag, 21. März 2011 13:20:58 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> > if you are seriously interested in having as many Kolab-clients as there
> > are interested initiatives / companies, you should ask yourself "can I
> > expect any PIM-Client, which may be extended to become a Kolab-client in
> > the future, to have an integrated and easily accessible full RFC3339
> > implementation". The answer is "No",
>
> Could you substantiate that answer? What groupware clients do you expect to
> work on platforms without emailing and network capabilities?

I think you are missunderstanding each other in this thread.
I am picking this one point to demonstrate it a bit,
but overall I believe that we should focus more on the solution,
which should be one solution which is good enough.

Florian is right in that I would also not expect "full RFC3339 specific"
reading and writing functions are easily available. I have demonstrated this
for Kontact based on Qt 4.6.2 as in the current, fresh Debian GNU/Linux.
I believe we find many platform where this is the case. Even if the platform
has the functions somewhere, they might not be easily available in the level
of abstraction somebody is working.

Georg is right in that any platform will have some datetime parsing functions
that will be able to deal with RFC3339, because all platform can handle
emails somehow. When in doubt, writing would be easy enough and even parsing
is realtively easy to implement.

To me the question of having ready made functions for rfc3339 parsing
lost most of its weight after reading rfc3339 more thoroughly. I suggest
to remove this argument as it is not helping much to find a solution
when we want to use tzid information and how to encode it.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.