Kontact's & Toltec's behaviour and Kolab-Format spec

Hendrik Helwich h.helwich at tarent.de
Mon Jul 4 11:10:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2011 15:58:33 schrieb Shawn Walker:
> Bernhard,
>
> Can you explain the possible problems in the format spec?

since I have worked on the project, I think i can answer this question.
To be interoperable with Kontact and Toltec, we had to analyze the behavior of
this Kolab clients. This is necessary because the Kolab specification is not
accurate enough in some points to allow an implementation of an interoperable
Kolab client. You have to analyze the behavior of every client you want to
support. This procedure is very time-consuming. We know that some effort is
taken at the moment to change this.

We had documented some remarkable characteristics of Kontact and Toltec in the
Wiki to help us (and other Kolab client implementors) to fill some of the
gaps in the kolab format spec. One example is that Kontact does dismiss most
of the unknown XML elements probably because the specification is unclear in
this point.

Regards,
Hendrik