[KEP UPDATE] KEP #9: Storage of configuration and application control information

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Aug 1 16:38:32 CEST 2011

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Based on the very useful feedback by Jeroen and Alain, I have revised the
> draft of KEP 9 to go more into the direction of clarifying the various
> mechanisms of configuration. As both Jeroen and Alain pointed out, it is
> practically impossible to think of one without thinking of the other.
>
> So this KEP now gives a set of tools, and the individual configuration
> items and use cases will in their description need to define their optimal
> mix and usage of these mechanisms.
>
> The updated draft is now online at
>
> 	http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/Drafts/KEP:9

Hi Georg,

overall, looks good. While it says ANNOTATEMORE though, in the abstract, it
continues with METADATA (and rightfully so).

In the public vs. private annotations[1], I think a value.shared / value.priv
both are perfectly feasible for a 'folder-config' type of annotation, for
example.

[1]
http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Greve/Drafts/KEP:9#Public_and_private_annotations

I think perhaps a better clause here is to outline that it is forbidden unless
specifically stated in the accepted KEP for such annotation...?

In the parsing order of folder-based XML, how do we outline whether any
annotations found or the XML contents of the folder should prevail?

I think it is useful to outline that the settings that are stored in
annotations are *exclusive* with what may occur in configuration XML. Then
again, I haven't given it a full load of thought yet.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG