Why and when storing local time?

Florian v. Samson florian.samson at bsi.bund.de
Tue Apr 5 14:47:12 CEST 2011

Jeroen,

Am Dienstag, 5. April 2011 um 12:35:42 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):

> Florian v. Samson wrote:
> > > Note that it would be data for several TZ-IDs as startdate and
> > > enddate could have use different timezones.
> >
> > This is a really rare case, IMO, and these are at most two (not
> > "several"), AFAICS.
>
> Actually most commonly flights that cross timezones start in one timezone
> but have their touch-down / controlled-crash time in the local timezone.

This is still at most two TZs (and that was the point I intended to get
across).

> The ability to choose different timezones for start-date and end-date to
> an event is very nice to have.

Yes, but at least for stationary clients (Office-PCs) not a necessity.
For mobile clients used in the business realm, this is IMO more than
just "very nice to have": this would be significant feature (and not having
it would be no catastrophe, but a loss of a medium important selling
point).

Cheers
	Florian