Recurring events with timezone

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Oct 27 16:41:10 CEST 2010

Hi Joon,

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 14.49:49 Joon Radley wrote:
> Again, if I am in South Africa, what do I care what time zone you scheduled
> it for, I just need to know what time of the night I need to get up for
> the call.

This works because you live in a country that does not have DST. So I guess
this is an easy case for you, and UCT makes a lot of sense and always works.
For those of us who *do* live in DST areas, life is a little bit more
complicated, though.

And while part of me agrees that the actual fix might be to get rid of DST
anywhere, I don't think that's realistically achievable so soon. ;)

So we'll need a way to allow the user to express the time zone to which an
event should be local. Adding the time zone to the time would be one way to
achieve that, but as others have pointed out, it is not the only way.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve