Recurring events with timezone

Tobias König tobias.koenig at kdab.com
Thu Oct 21 15:52:12 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 10:33:41 Joon Radley wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
Hej,

> UTC is the constant. You calculate your local time by adjusting UTC to your
> local time zone. If at any point your software assumes that UTC is not the
> constant you need to revisit it.
>
> Time zone and daylight savings time is a locale issue.
I guess to cover the case Hendrik mentioned, the UTC -> local time conversion
needs to check when the first occurence of the recurring event happened.
Depending on the date it can find out whether it has been created during
summer or winter time and therefor adapt the conversion of the current
occurence from UTC -> local.

If it has been created during winter time and the current occurence is winter
time as well, then the normal offset is added to UTC. If it has been created
during summer time but the current occurence is winter time, then the hours to
add to UTC must be adapted properly.

However this is something for the local conversion, nothing that needs saving
timezones inside the format.

Ciao,
Tobias
Tobias Koenig | tobias.koenig at kdab.com
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090