Recurring events with timezone

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Oct 27 11:02:12 CEST 2010

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the good summary!

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 10.44:43 Andrew McMillan wrote:
> Rather, perhaps, don't even attempt to describe any formula for
> calculation of daylight savings times.  There are standard libraries for
> performing these calculations on every platform and language that I am
> familiar with (most use the Olson rules, in reality) and I feel it would
> be better not to overspecify in this area.

I agree.

But we seem to have consensus that right now we're underspecified, for we
cannot address a case that several applications we'd like to be able to
interact with can.

So the question in my mind is: How do we do this without overspecifying, and
without disrupting the existing clients more than absolutely necessary?

Shawn: Bynari has a lot of Windows experience. Do you happen to know how
Outlook solves this case? I know that Doug Finch brought up the issue of
recurrence exceptions that Bynari still sees, as well - which would fit into
this general topic. Would you be able to outline the solution that Bynari has
implemented in its connector right now so we can see whether it would work for
others, as well?

Best regards,
Georg

--