KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Nov 29 21:14:41 CET 2010

Hi Georg,

Quoting "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:

> Hi Gunnar,
>
> On Monday 29 November 2010 18.04:27 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Well, but they might fail with events that carry the additional
>> timezone information.
>
> Yes, but only for recurring events.
>
> And those are already wrong. So there is nothing lost.
>

>> Which section of the Kolab format description at
>> http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0-html/ mentions this? I didn't
>> find it and it is also not implemented in Kolab_Format from Horde.
>
> Interesting.This was something that I remember Bernhard telling me
> was part of
> the thinking behind the format when it was initially set up.

The requirement makes sense. I actually only noticed because I checked
the Kolab_Format code, realized that such a check was missing,
considered that a bug and started logging a new issue. Just when I
wanted to link the relevant format section I realized there was no
paragraph requiring this check.

> I never actually saw it in the documentation, and if you say that your code
> does not implement it there is probably a good chance that others also won't.

Fact is that there was virtually no change of the format during the
last five years which means there was nothing that would have forced
clients to implement such a safe guard.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Best regards,
> Georg
>

> --
> Georg C. F. Greve
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> Kolab Systems AG
> Zürich, Switzerland
>
> e: greve at kolabsys.com
> t: +41 78 904 43 33
> w: http://kolabsys.com
>
> pgp: 86574ACA Georg C. F. Greve

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg