HTML Body in kolab.xml?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Nov 21 10:36:11 CET 2010

On Saturday, November 20, 2010 06:05:45 pm Shawn Walker wrote:
> Is it possible to add another XML tag to the Kolab spec "htmlbody"?  The
> reason is that Outlook allow the user to style the body of event, tasks,
> contacts, etc.  Currently "body" tag is only for plain text.
>
> I think we should also BASE64 encode the HTML text for "htmlbody" to remove
> any issues with the HTML tag interfering with the XML tag.
>
>     <htmlbody>base64_encoded</htmlbody>

I like the feature, but here's a thought, further enhancing the idea;

The HTML body would not have to be part of the Kolab XML payload, and can just
be an attachment. The ability for a client to display the HTML body (instead
of?) the plaintext body could then be based on referrals to a specific
attachment, not locking in the XML format itself to HTML content specifically.
Attachments that (in the future?) could then be displayed inline could include
formats such as ODF, PDF, GS, ... etcetera. I propose considering something
along the lines of <formattedbody attachment="$reference" />.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--