[Kolab-devel] KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Jerry Pommer jpommer at bynari.net
Wed Nov 17 16:40:16 CET 2010

------ Original Message ------
From: Hendrik Helwich <h.helwich at tarent.de>
Date: Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 9:28 AM CST
To: "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>
Subject: Re: [Kolab-devel] KEP 2: Modification of datetime type,	introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Am Mittwoch, 17. November 2010 16:03:15 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 01:58:08 pm Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > So it is an inconsistency, and a reason why I believe we should link this
> > to the RFC that everyone else is using for this purpose, as all the
> > operating systems that are network capable have built-in functions to
> > read and write this format.
>
> I would argue this (the alteration of valid datetime notations) would need
> to become a separate KEP, as it has to set rules on how clients should,
> must or may preserve the original format.

Hi,

Why not keep the established UTC time format like it is defined in the kolab
specification? It holds all needed information and it would not be necessary
to adapt the kolab specification on that point.

Best regards

Hendrik

> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen

I strongly disagree with this proposal. Creating events in local time adds unneeded complexity when working with recurring events shared amongst users in different timezones. UTC is the constant, and every client knows what their offset is (or will be) at the time of the event. Why should I concern myself with the local time of the user that created the event, if we all convert from UTC and end up on the phone at the same time no matter where we are? I've just been through this with iCal, and it really is awful.
If someone can present a test case in which such additional effort is necessary, I'm willing to learn from it if there is something that I'm missing. Why?

Jerry Pommer
jpommer at bynari.net