KEP2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag (wiki revision 10645 of 2010-11-19)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Dec 15 19:42:20 CET 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 11.03:23 Hendrik Helwich wrote:
> Also i am not sure if i understand the 4th bullet point:
> "All such timestamps MUST be calculated against *Standard Time*, NOT in
> Daylight Saving Time (DST). "

This is to avoid ambiguity.

Because the UTC time is calculated from the local time before storing it,
doing this against standard time or DST would yield different UTC results.

As we do not store whether or not this has been calculated from standard or
DST (and neither do I think we should) we need to fix the reference point.

Standard time seemed the obvious choice for a great variety of reasons,
including the question what regions would otherwise be doing that only have
standard time.

Best regards,
Georg

--