KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Dec 14 13:13:39 CET 2010

Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2010 18:39:07 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> > > FWIW, on Kontact 4.5, the only non-zulu datetime entries I see are the
> > > <last- modification /> element contents -then again that doesn't say
> > > much does it?
> >
> > Kontact 4.5 is _not_ really a production ready or rolled out Kolab
> > Client, in addition the last-modification-date is of lesser importance.
> > In my view we could ignore this client revision, the next real
> > Kolab Client after Kontact e35 will be Kontact Touch and Kontact Desktop,
> > both from the E5 series which is coming up.
>
> Bernhard, relax, it was an FWIW.

It is a major defect in the Kontact Client, so I am glad you've pointed it out
again. I am rarely relaxed about major defects. :)

Overall I have seen to many people using KDE PIM from KDE SC 4.0 up to 4.5.x
not knowing that they have some significant drawbacks as Kolab Clients. We
seriously need to get the word out about this discrepancy. And we need to do
it in a friendly way to show that the PIM and KDE group did wonderful
progress which is highly appreciated.

For the current KEPs discussions I've seen it used as an argument
that some client would do this or that. I believe we need to be more precise
about which client has what behaviour to judge the relevance of the argument.

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.