Storing complex data as folder annotations

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Aug 27 16:05:15 CEST 2010

Hi Alain, Hi Gunnar,

Am Mittwoch, 9. Juni 2010 21:24:34 schrieb Alain Abbas:

> >> Given that we also need XML because of the storage format, why not
> >> use XML?
> >> It might be a bit more verbose, but it would save one format parser
> >> in the
> >> clients?
> >
> > Because it is much more verbose and I still believe be we should not
> > consider annotations to be a general purpose data dump. But I agree
> > that having a single format type also makes sense. Probably it would
> > be possible to condense the XML... hm, yeah, probably you are right.
>
> JSON take less ressource to parse than a XML file. Json is standardized
> and common and native for a lor of of languages
> and less verbose yes
>
> The code is very simple to parse it because native functions

I am a fan of anything that is well defined and less complex than XML is,
so I am also a fan of JSON. But in this special case we cannot avoid
XML anymore because it is the basis of the Kolab Storage format.
And then any complexity and new code for a new format is extra,
even if it is a light format like JSON.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.