Storing complex data as folder annotations

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Apr 12 18:13:20 CEST 2010

Hi Alain,

Quoting Alain Abbas <alain.abbas at libertech.fr>:

> hi Gunnar
> well but for the folders where the user doesn t have write rights (this
> is my case with zpush ) ?

indeed I did not consider the ACL problem. This completely invalidates
my suggestion. The fact that it is necessary to allow users to store
configuration data on folders that they have no other right than
"lookup" does however mean that there is really no other choice than
using the annotation system. Any other IMAP based solution that comes
to my mind and that would allow this seems even more broken than using
IMAP METADATA to me.

So that would leave complex data in the annotations. However I would
not like to use PHP serialization there. I think JSON would be more
appropriate as it is not bound to a specific language.

Cheers,

Gunnar