Extension proposed to handle advanced alarms

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Sep 19 12:51:14 CEST 2008

Quoting Kevin Ottens <kevin at kdab.net>:

> [...]
>  - "repeat-count", to set how many times an alarm should be repeated
> after the
> first time it got triggered;
>  - "repeat-interval", to set the amount of time between to repetition of the
> alarm.
>
> So for instance, for an alarm first triggered ten minutes before the event,
> and then triggered again five times every two minutes, it'll have the
> following form:
> -------------------------------------
> <alarm type="...">
>   <start-offset>-10</start-offset>
>   <repeat-count>5</repeat-count>
>   <repeat-interval>2</repeat-interval>
> </alarm>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Each alarms will also have sub elements depending on their type:
>  - "display" type, has a "text" sub-element to specify the text displayed to
> the user when the alarm is triggered:
> -------------------------------------
> <alarm type="display">
>   <text>Time to leave!</text>
> </alarm>
> -------------------------------------
>
>  - "audio" type, has a "file" sub-element to specify the audio file to be
> played when the alarm is triggered;
> -------------------------------------
> <alarm type="display">
>   <file>/path/to/some/music.ogg</file>
> </alarm>
> -------------------------------------
>
>  - "procedure" type, has a "program" sub-element to specify the program to be
> launched when the alarm is triggered, it also has an "arguments" sub-element
> to specify arguments to be passed to the program when invoked;
> -------------------------------------
> <alarm type="procedure">
>   <program>/usr/bin/xmessage</program>
>   <arguments>Time to leave</arguments>
> </alarm>
> -------------------------------------
>
>  - "email" type is the most complex and has the following sub-elements:
>     * "addresses" which contains a set of "address" sub-elements describing
> who will receive the mail (in name+email format);
>     * "subject" which gives the subject of the mail;
>     * "mail-text" which gives the pure text content of the mail;
>     * "attachments" which contains a set of "attachment" sub-elements giving
> the path to a file to attach to the mail.
> -------------------------------------
> <alarm type="email">
>   <addresses>
>     <address>First User <user1 at foo.com></address>
>     <address>Second User <user2 at foo.com></address>
>   </addresses>
>   <subject>We're about to be late</subject>
>   <mail-text>It's really about time we leave!</mail-text>
>   <attachments>
>     <attachment>/path/to/a/scary-picture.jpg</attachment>
>     <attachment>/path/to/another/scary-picture.png</attachment>
>   </attachment>
> </alarm>
> -------------------------------------
>
> It should be about it for this Kontact extension. Comments are welcome.

Sounds interesting. Does Outlook support such a feature?

In any case I don't think it would be something we should have in the
core specification as this require a good deal of additional
functionality in the clients. Concerning Horde I can say that there is
no support for something like this at the moment.

We should in any case really start to document the client specific
Kolab Format extensions in the Kolab wiki. I hope I'll get to that soon.

Cheers,

Gunnar