[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Jun 3 14:05:51 CEST 2008

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> Hi Martin,

>> > If this is the case, we might also consider changing the kolab-format
>> > spec as we will have quite a few objects of this type out there in the
>> > wild.
>>
>> I strongly object to this way of dealing with implementation problems. If
>> the standard is not broken but the implementations are broken then fix the
>> implementations but not the standard.
>>

>> The former approach is the reason for too many problem in other areas like
>> html where implementations finally defined the standards...
>>
>> So fix the implementations and use the version numbering schema for
>> backwards compatibility.
>
> this might be true in the general case, but we are looking at a specific case.
> Do you know any implementation that is _not_ following the Kontact or Toltec
> implementation?

Horde obviously but that is of course rather new and can be modified.

> If there is non, and there is no other drawback, we would only
> put the burden on implementors and users - without any practical gain
> for the first release that is called "stable".

Concerning the implementation this exception requires a pretty useless
bit of code and I believe it makes sense to stick to the original
intention of the format description.

I'm not saying that we should declare the current implementations as
invalid. But we should just mark it as an exception, suggest newer
clients to allow reading both formats while writing the correct
format. This way we could at least try to phase out this type of
exception as I don't see a really convincing reason to keep it around.

Cheers,

Gunnar