Features outside of the Kolab format

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Nov 13 16:01:15 CET 2007

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 06 November 2007 15:27, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> All I want is to allow format extensions and REQUIRE their declaration.
>>
>> I suggest to add a line in the Kolab format specs that says that a
>> client MAY NOT extend the format with custom additions UNLESS they are
>> being
>
> You are raising questions of procedures - rightfully.
> However I will have to think about the answers a little bit more
> and the possible consequences of your proposal.
> All in all I am a bit reluctant to  overhaul the process
> to make it very easy to change the format.
>
>> announced on this list and stored on a wiki page for further
>> reference. If the client violates that it is no longer a Kolab
>> compliant client.
>
> The problem with the announcement of the list and storage of the wiki page is
> quite weak and this makes complicancy hard to control.

That is true. But I do not really want to consider such announcements
as binding.

I'm currently converting the Horde Trean application to Kolab. This
will at some point allow to store your Bookmarks on the server. I'll
also define an experimental XML format for storing the Bookmark
information.

I think it is useful to the other clients if I am forced to publicly
announce and describe this format before actually using. At that point
other devs would certainly join the discussion an tell what they
consider bad about my new format. This has a benefit for me since I
can improve it and on the other hand it helps the community because
that way the other devs won't have to find out about custom formats by
testing the other software themselves. At that point it will usually
be too late to move back in time and revert the borked format.

So by disallowing to call a Kolab client that uses unpublished custom
formats as Kolab compliant I just want to increase discussions about
such features.

I believe it would have helped if one of the Outlook connector devs
would have for example declared a new "company" attribute on tasks
earlie on. Maybe the other Outlook connector devs would have also used
that format instead of choosing their own.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Bernhard
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg