IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 6 19:19:27 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 15:29, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> >> We should define a second, optional possibility for setting the folder
> >> type. This approach should use standard IMAP capabilities. This is
> >> something that a client MAY implement.
> >
> > I first feeling is to not add an additional method.
> > Choice is good in principle, but in this regard I would rather
> > have a higher burden for Kolab Clients and to not water down the brand.
> > Kolab2 compliant servers would need to implement the freebusy mechanism
> > and the incidences-for funcationality as well.
>
> I don't want to require the clients to implement this. I just think it
> would be a desireable extension. Especially for Horde.

This is always a difficult strategic decision.

I would not make this "optional" for Kolab Clients, because the user
will not get a full Kolab experience unless the server supports
freebusy generation and some other stuff. The servers that want to do this,
can do so quite easily including the ANNOTATEMORE extension.
Client can implement anything optional, but it would not be Kolab I guess.
I hope that we can increase the pressure to actually lobby for a standard way
to save additional information for a folder. ANNOTATEMORE seems good for this
purpose and we have a leading IMAP server implementing it already.
It would be possible to create patches for the others.
As with many extensions this has proven useful and the more people
that realise the pressure to include it in other implementation will grow.

Bernhard