RFC: drop requirement to set /vendor/kolab/folder-type: mail

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sat Nov 3 00:06:29 CET 2007

Am Freitag, 2. November 2007 schrieb Thomas Arendsen Hein:

Hi Thomas,

> Inspired by the regular problems with annotations.db I want to

I am wondering why you are using this argument. Basically since many months
this problem is understood to be an already solved Linux kernel issue which
additionally can be worked around when using berkley db instead of skiplist.

> suggest that the requirement to set /vendor/kolab/folder-type: mail
>
> should be dropped as it does not give any additional information:

It makes the spec explicit instead of implicit. In the future I am seriously
considering to store even more meta information with the IMAP folder. E.g. it
makes sense to store stuff like check-interval, PutRepliesInSameFolder,
FolderIcon, CustomIcons,....

> | All folders MUST be annotated with an entry /vendor/kolab/folder-type
> |
> | All Kolab clients MUST assume that folders without an explicit type
> | set are email folders.
>
> Because of this second requirement there will be no problems with
> Kolab clients adhering to the old specs.

correct.

> | All annotation MUST be set during the initial creation of a folder
> | and cannot be altered afterwards.
>
> This is an important requirement, but Kontact already fails here,
> see kolab/issue2069 (Kontact rewrites custom folder types)

This is a bug.

Regards,
-- martin konold

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23 Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126