definition of "strings"

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Feb 7 10:22:22 CET 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007, Martin Konold wrote:
> I agree and therefore I propose to explicitly define the strings as XML
> strings which as a consequence forbids current definitiones like
> categories (string, default "") - The categories is a comma separated list.

I disagree. An XML string can be a comma-separated list of substrings, there's
nothing in XML that prevents that. The only problem is, as you pointed out,
if we want to allow commas in category names; then I agree with your solution
of having one element per category.

> So you mean we shall allow these in the kolab format? E.g. how to deal with
> linefeed in a category or location?

Well, if the GUI has a multi-line edit widget for those then a linefeed makes sense.
And if it doesn't, then the linefeed gets converted into a space, which seems reasonable
to me.
And if none of the clients has a multi-line edit widget for a field, then it won't get a \n
in the first place ;)