Extend IMAP idea (was: Handling of private/confidential groupware objects)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 27 15:15:24 CET 2006

Am Montag, 27. Februar 2006 15:11 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 14:07 schrieb Joon Radley:
> > Introduce a /private flag to the APPEND command and a
> > p(I think this is not taken) to the ACL extension to manage access to
> > messages flagged as private.

> > The Kolab project can introduce a draft for this. It is simple and should
> > not be a major exercise to implement (might be wrong). As this is a
> > growing issue it will be a benefit to the whole IMAP4 community.
>
> Considering the implementation, it is the current estimation of my
> developers, that it would be a major effort to add this to Cyrus Imapd.
> As far as I have understood, the affected code would be all over the place
> which would require a long stabilisation period in case the implementation
> is made.

Forgot one technical reason:
The way this is designed now, allows Cyrus to not check the ACL
for each object, but only once on selection of the folder.
So adding an access flag might constitute a performace issue,
as the lookup and decision would need to be done per object,
as opposed to per folder.