More IMAP Annotations (folder display name and translations)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Mon Sep 19 08:03:57 CEST 2005

Hi Martin,

Am Freitag, 16. September 2005 21:54 schrieb Martin Konold:
> we are well aware of the problems with the actual imap name of a folder and
> its display name in the GUI.

yes, though I consider the minor.
To me in practice, each folder will have a predominate language.
And each reader will have to understand it to a necessary extend.
Do you have use cases where this is not the case?

In addition the default folders and the type of other folders are already
known which should solve some other cases.

> From a usability and interoperability point of view I think it is best to
> seperate the IMAP folder name from the display name. This allows then for
> example a user who has a French gui to use a Kolab account which was
> created with a German Kontact etc.

I am unsure about this for a few reasions:

a) other clients. They will not know about the convention to save the display
name in the annotations. Having a useful folder name is helpful here.
Note that quite a few are using a Kolab Server only as email server.

b) The translation list will not be complete. It also adds overhead to each
folder a lot of information being the same. This is not a lot, but it might
add up.

> This would in addition make it possible for us to create the default kolab
> groupware folders (e.g. sent-mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks,...) already
> during account creation on the server.

If that is desirable, we could do so at account creation already, we only need
the language of the user. We already have a very good guess at this, but
could make this explicit, too.

Bernhard