Toltec connector and exceptions to recurring events

Reinhold Kainhofer reinhold at kainhofer.com
Tue May 31 02:50:47 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 31. Mai 2005 02:26 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> Okay. So you imagine an event that start on June 1, 2005 and 14:00 recurs
> every Wednesday for 4 times. In OGo you store this as four events, that
> occur on
> -) June 1, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 8, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 15, 2005, 14:00
> -) June 22, 2005, 14:00
>
> What happens to the event on the server if you change the start date of the
> June 15 event to June 13, 10:00, and you also change the summary? Will the
> recurrence still be detected as such?
>
> The iCalendar way would be that the original event has an RRULE:
>
> UID:1234567890
> DTSTART;TZID=CEST:20050601T140000
> RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;COUNT=4
>
> and when you change the start date of the June 15 event, the original event
> would get an EXDATE:
>
> EXDATE;TZID=CEST:20050615T140000
>
> And a newly created event would have the new summary and:
>
> UID:1234567890
> RECURRENCE-ID:20050613T100000
> DTSTART;TZID=CEST:20050601T140000
>
> (Or something like that. I'm writing down these things from my head, so I
> might get some details wrong).

Okay, after re-reading rfc 2445, I think I got this completely and utterly
wrong (rfc  2445 doesn't really explain recurrence-ids very well).
There wouldn't be an EXDATE. And the newly created event would have the new
summary and:

UID:1234567890
RECURRENCE-ID;TZID=CEST:20050615T140000
DTSTART;TZID=CEST:20050613T100000

So, the recurrence-id determines which of the occurences of the original RRULE
will be changed, and the DTSTART gives the new time for it.
Of course, this requires that the original event already has a recurrence set
(either RRULE or RDATEs).

What I still don't understand is how this might ever work with the
THISANDFUTURE values of the RANGE property. If you change the date of the
recurrence, how will that be applied to all future events???

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, Vienna, Austria
email: reinhold at kainhofer.com, http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/