Toltec connector and exceptions to recurring events

Helge Hess helge.hess at opengroupware.org
Tue May 31 01:56:51 CEST 2005

On 31. Mai 2005, at 01:02 Uhr, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> OK. But is this relevant for Outlook, that is, does Outlook actually
>> support such a setup?
> Yes, that's how Outlook handles changing one event of a recurring
> sequence.

Ok.

> That workaround won't work, since lots of places use a structure like
>
> QString uid=....;
> Event *event = calendar->event( uid );
> createObject(event->summary(), ....);

Hm, yes, but (note: I don't know how dynamic C++ or the Kontact API
is here) couldn't the Event be some subclass of Event which actually
is a collection?

There would be two cases:
a) code which can't deal with multi-events
b) code which can

In the a) case you would use the "master event" for determining the
subject and other core properties.
While for b) the consumer could process event-specific properties
(using an [event conformsToProtocol:@protocol(MultiEvent) in ObjC to
check for MultiEvents ;-)

I have the impression that this would allow for a step-by-step
approach to get rdate support.

> You see, lots of places explicitly depend on the assumption that
> only one
> unique (possibly recurring) event is associated to one UID. I guess
> it would
> take quite a lot of work to get rid of this in kde-pim.

RID is somewhat important for us because its in my understanding the
iCalendar approach to represent our way of dealing with recurrences.
I would rather not like to implement the Kontact related-to approach
which no one else implements.

Greets,
   Helge
--