[Kolab-devel] Kolab XML specification

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 4 11:26:17 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 11:13, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 10:37, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 May 2005 10:04, Joon Radley wrote:
> > > The problem from my side is that I do not have a SID. I can preserve
> > > and set values saved by Kontact, but when a invitation is accepted in
> > > Outlook the whole model will fall apart as no SID will be set.
> >
> > I guess we need to write up again, why we have that SID and what problem
> > it tries to solve.  Can someone point me to the discussion and do the
> > writeup?
>
> http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/2004-October/000471.html
>
> To put it in my own words:
> if user A invites user B, and user A can also read user B's folder, then
> the invitation (in user A's calendar) and the event in user B's calendar
> (which accepted the invitation), will conflict for A. A would have two
> "variants" of the same event, in two calendar folders, with the same UID.
> To fix that, we now give a different UID to the event in user B's calendar,
> but of course it must still be possible to match the two events together
> (e.g. when updating the meeting later on). This is why user B's event has
> "scheduling-id" set, pointing to the invitation's UID (i.e. the UID of the
> event in user A's calendar).

This might not be as critical for Joon as outlook only has one main calendar
you can accept emails into. I wonder if we could also solve the problem with
something that is only internal to kontact as the conflict only has technical reason
within Kontact. What if you internally prepend the folder name to the id the kontact
library uses?