Small extension to the annotate proposal

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Jun 30 22:14:20 CEST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2004 08:55 schrieb Joon Radley:

Hi Joon,

> > XML is not the format the format is e.g. Kolab XML Format
> > 1.0. XML is only the technology we use in order to implement
> > the format. The real Kolab format for now is the Kolab XML Format 1.0.
>
> For how long will this be the format supported by the Kolab server and
> clients? This was my orginal question.

As long as technically possible. Sofar I hope that we can really come up with
a good spec which lasts for some years. (Though doing so is not easy and
requires to anticipate future requirements (see timezone discussion).
Actually this is the main reason why I want to make sure that the initial
draft is flexible)

Though because I am realistic I expect an XML 1.1 format rather soon after we
have the first thousands of users. If we made XML 1.0 smart then the
transition to XML 1.1 can be painless and seemless.

> > This might change at some point in the future e.g. towards
> > Kolab XML Format 2.0.
>
> Agree. But you proposal make provision for other formats, not just
> versions.

It allows for explicit declarion of the format including a name and a version
number.

> > For the reasons given in my other mail (e.g. upgrade
> > szenario) it is better to make this explicit.

I hope that you agree that it is required for any serious deployment of Kolab.

Yours,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de