Naming of attachments

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Fri Jul 16 17:04:19 CEST 2004

Hi David,

> Currently we look for the kolab XML attachment by mimetype,
> to update it when modifying the note/contact/event/etc.
>
> But when storing other things, we have to look for them by
> name (*) (since the <picture> tag in the mail points to the
> attachment name).
>
> This makes the coding a little bit difficult, if some
> attachments have to be replaced by mimetype and others by name.
>
> How about standardizing the name of the XML attachment, so
> that we can look for this one by name too? We currently use
> "kolab.xml" as its name.
>
> (*) I call "name" the "filename" part of Content-Disposition
>
> Actually an excerpt from a mail generated by kontact:
>
> --Boundary-00=_CXv7ANLAcEtkXEa
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <contact version="1.0" >
>  <uid>NENrMMSaaO</uid>
>
> (Not sure what the name in the content-type is used for, it's
> probably not needed)
>
> Does everyone agree on generating
> for the kolab XML attachment?

A benefit of having unnamed attachments are that we can distinguish between
the special attachments like the TNEF object and kolab objects from "real"
attachments like pictures and documents. The "real" attachments are
referenced by name in the kolab object. By having no names for the special
attachments there can also never be a name collision.

Best regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557