Mail structure (Re: Extra Header field)

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Tue Jul 13 11:27:36 CEST 2004

Hi David,
> This problem remains. The overall structure would change as
> soon as one attachment is added, which makes this really not
> convenient.
> How about having the toplevel multipart/mixed in all cases,
> even when there's no attachment?

You mean having a single part, multi part ... Hmmmmm :-)

This should not present a problem.

> > The mixed/alternate is used for when you want the offer the email
> > client a option of what to display. A non-compliant client will see
> > that it only understands text/plain and will display this.
> A compliant
> > client will display the application/x-vnd.kolab.note.
>
> Yes. The question was how to also include the attachments in
> the "for compliant clients only" part, but apparently that's
> not possible.
>
> So the next best solution IMHO is to have a *single* mail
> structure, which makes it easy to add attachments without
> reshuffling everything around.

The reason I put the groupware message in the mail is based on experience.
Do you know how many times I was asked about the TNEF format? It creates a
lot of confusion not having a text part. Having the text/plain message will
ease the support load. :-)

How about a multipart/mixed? The first part is a text/plain, the second part
is the application/x-vnd.kolab.* and any other parts are attachments.

Best Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557