Summing up

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Tue Jul 13 11:07:23 CEST 2004

Hi Bo,

> I want to have a summary of what's been discussed/decided
> over the last days.
>
> Joon has requested a special header:

> Stuart has requested that the incidence UID is put in the subject.
>
> I want to add both of these as hard requirements to the spec,
> but I've seen much resistance against it. So what's the vote from you?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes ...

> One thing I won't support is to make them optional. Optional
> parts are next to useless. Either it's there or not. The
> reason I'm pretty hard on this is that there is absolutely no
> performance hit or anything else on these two requests. So if
> there is value in having them, it would be just missing the
> full opportunity to not have it.

Agree.

> Also, Joon and David discussed the mime structure of the
> mail. I need a summary on this before I can update the spec with it.

This example does not take into account the decision about the
Subject/Message-ID and the X-KOLAB-OBJECT headers.

<---[ start ]--->
1) The Kolab XML format is encapsulated in a multipart/alternative content
type as follows:

--STUPID-123456

This is a Kolab Groupware object. To view this object you will need a email
client that can understand the Kolab Groupware format. For a list of such
email clients please visit http:://www.kolab.org/kolab-clients.html

--STUPID-123456

AABBDNNDKIJSGHGSHTUHAK==

--STUPID-123456--

2) When there are attachments associated with the object the message is
encapsulated in a multipart/mixed content type with the
multipart/alternative encapsulation described in 1 as the first body part in
the multipart.

Subject: "Kolab Groupware Object"

This is a Multi Part MIME message.

--MIXED-123456

--STUPID-123456

This is a Kolab Groupware object. To view this object you will need a email
client that can understand the Kolab Groupware format. For a list of such
email clients please visit http:://www.kolab.org/kolab-clients.html

--STUPID-123456

AABBDNNDKIJSGHGSHTUHAK==

--STUPID-123456--