Extra Header field

Bo Thorsen bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jul 13 10:38:26 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 10:29, Joon Radley wrote:
> Hi Bo,
>
> > Martin, there is no way in hell it can ever work to use the
> > IMAP UID as the event/contact/... ID.
> >
> > Stuart, I agree with David, that if it helps speed up things
> > for you, then we will put the event UID in the subject. Joon,
> > is that okay with you? I have thought quite a lot about
> > whether it makes sense to show something usable in the
> > subject, and I always came to the conclusion that for
> > debugging it's useful and for everything else it doesn't matter.
> >
> > Steffen and I thought a lot about doing this back in the
> > kroupware days, but never solved the problem (because it's
> > impossible to introduce later). In the current resources I've
> > worked on, I have added a dictionary that provides event ID
> > to mail identification (KMail calls this identification
> > serial numbers). Having the UID in the subject would help
> > when the server synchronization updates a mail with one of
> > our events though.
>
> Not the subject. Lets project the UID of the object to a X-KOLAB-UID
> header. This header describes exactly what it is used for. Using the
> subject is a bit of a hack. :-)

A special header doesn't help. This change was requested by the Horde
guys, and they can't search on arbitrary headers. So the UID must either
be in subject or there is no reason to do the change.

I for one wouldn't mind putting it in the subject. I even see some KMail
specific possible optimizations if we have it there.

> Before we start the next great thread ... The header must be mandatory
> else the model falls apart.

I agree very much on this. I don't care for optional parts. Either it's
there for sure or it isn't.

Bo.

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark