Extra Header field

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jul 12 17:55:40 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 17:13 schrieb Joon Radley:

Hi Joon,

> The extra header only makes it much easier. I can decide how to handle a
> message just by looking at the header, without the need to parse the whole
> message first. Parsing a big MIME message is resource intensive.
>
> Adding this header to the message will not affect the format or the
> storage, why is it such a problem?

Actually sofar nobody seems to think that it is a problem. Everybody aggreed
that it helps for efficiency.

The only question left is:
 Is the extra header a hint or mandatory.

I think making it a hint for the sake of efficiency in the common case and in
case the header is missing doing the extra effort of parsing is the way to
go.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de