Small extension to the annotate proposal

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jul 12 15:33:38 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 12. Juli 2004 15:13 schrieb Stuart K. Bingë:

Hi Stuart,

> > Yes, exactly! According to my understanding the annotation is used for
> > writing but the actual message is used for reading. When reading the
> > actual mime type determines the type while an extra option header might
> > hint the reader (for efficiency).
>
> If that is the case, then is the annotation even necessary? You could
> potentially ignore it, write whatever data you want, and still be
> considered "compliant"

Yes, you are correct but the annotation is indeed the hint to the client which
format it shall use for writing. You may write other messages to the folder
syntactically but you most probably run into trouble semantically if you
choose to ignoe the hint.

Last but not least the annotation is very important that we dont have to guess
the name of the default groupware folders (think about localization)

> Maybe something like "/recommended-storage-format" would be more
> appropriate?

IMHO this would sound a little bit too weak.

BTW: Of course clients are not allowed to get confused or even crash in case a
message in a groupware folder is bogus.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de