Extra Header field

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Jul 12 15:00:06 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 14:53, Stuart K. Bingë wrote:
> On Monday, 12 July 2004 14:46, Joon Radley wrote:
> > What is the purpose of the trash folder? It allows the user to recover from
> > deleting the wrong item, be it mail, contact, note, etc. If you argument is
> > valid then there should be no trash folder at all. :-)
>
> No - as I said, we're not dealing with traditional email; there is a
> confirmation step between pressing "delete" and the object actually being
> deleted, whereas with mail pressing delete puts the object in the trash
> folder. At least, that's the convention I've seen used in the clients that
> I've used - the trash folder holds deleted emails.
>
> Anyway, I guess it can happen that way, but then our whole /folder-type
> annotation is useless as we'll have calender entries, etc, in a so-called
> "mail" folder. And if we're going to be parsing every object to see what
> format it is, then /folder-type becomes pretty redundant.

But a trashed contact/event/... is just a mail with an xml attachment, there's
no parsing necessary from the groupware code (that contact doesn't appear
in the addressbook, that event doesn't appear in the calendar, etc.)
It's nice if such a trashed object is displayed nicely in the mail client, but
that's all. For all other purposes, it's just a deleted mail.

So the folder-type annotation _is_ very useful, for the addressbook to
easily find its contacts, for the calendar to easily find its events etc.
Of course this means "find the folder holding its contacts". The addressbook
has to parse those 'mails' and their xml attachements to know what theysay
anyway, so it's OK to ignore any mail which doesn't have the extra header
or doesn't have an appropriate xml attachment, of course.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer